Thursday, April 17, 2014

Alphabet Soup

Last week's classes at Scene Stealers were a veritable alphabet soup. Please pardon our use of shortened names, but well, sometimes it must be done. You think you know the story of Little Red Riding Hood (LRRH)? Trust me, you don't. At Inkreadable, Hood is quite technologically advanced. The girl has an X Box. And internet. She's a teenager, so not so little. But surprisingly, she has no attitude. She still does what her mama asks and takes a basket of food to granny. She also helps her mom turn on the computer. Which particularly amused me, because I can relate.  I asked the kids to write the conversation between LRRH and her mom. What's interesting is that the conversation is quite banal and follows the line of the original story, but the boys took liberties with the life that LRRH lives. She's been moved into the modern age.  I can't say that I was surprised at the turn in LRRH's circumstances, just the execution of them. 

The big bad wolf (BBW) was also reinvented. In one boy's scene, LRRH is off to give granny her basket, but while listening to pop music. Which is where we meet the BBW. Who dances. And lays eggs. Yup you heard me. Lays eggs. This caused much hilarity for myself and his brother. Following on the heels of his "Mostly the Lion" ending, I realize that the humor is no fluke and I might have the next Stephen Fry or Christopher Brookmyre in my class.  Exciting stuff, indeed. As the class drew to a close we discussed further ideas for the BBW. We invented and alternative ending in which BBW has a dad. BBW's dad appears after his son has eaten both grandma and LRRH. Dad gives BBW a medication to make BBW throw up. That's one way we revised the story. In a second revisionist ending, grandma and LRRH are imprisoned by both the BBW and his dad. The women escape on their own, while the dad is asleep. They are chased by BBW, but come upon a hunter who kills BBW. They back track to the house and kill BBW's dad while he sleeps. It' all a bit blood thirsty, really.

In other News, Inkreadable is taking a field trip. We are off to the 2014 Tots to Teens expo on Saturday from 10-4 pm. Come visit! There will be treats! I'll have more on that in a separate blogpost. That's all for this Inkreadable installment. Stay tuned, as always, there is more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment