Sunday, March 2, 2014

Girl Power

Thursday and Saturday this week marked the end of the first of my Short Story classes at Inkreadable Kids. I have mixed feelings about the closure of my first session. I am glad that, contrary to a few opinions, I started the sessions in January, instead of waiting until the spring. If I had waited for the perfect time to start this project, I wouldn't have. There is no perfect time. Or rather, it's always the perfect time. I am sad that I am losing, temporarily, I hope, two of my girls, but it's the start of Spring sports. I am ecstatic that my WIS girls are coming back on Thursday afternoons to take my Scene Stealers class. I have decided to make this a bit more focused on the tools of the craft. So while the kids will be writing scenes from well known stories, I am going to ask them to write the scene while concentrating on a particular writing concept. I was excited that everyone's parents showed up to hear their children read the stories. I am sorry that the one person's story got cut off in the scanning process. Luckily, they and their parents are so laid back it ended up being alright.

I learned several things  about myself as well. I read the girls bits of my novel and it was empowering. They were on the edge of their seats wanting to know what happens next. It was gratifying to me that I write with enough panache that kids like it. Since that's the age range I am targeting, it galvanized me to write more. It also put to rest all the mental nay saying that I do with regard to both teaching and writing. I know that I can write. I now know that I can instill love of writing in children. I am amazed at the power of the girl writer. And I know that yes, i can do this.

 In the Thursday class, we saved a mom who was a genie, we dealt with the stress of being a girl who loves science and vanquished that stress, plus we won the science fair, and we got a humble musician to take three risks, and avoid his critical wife, to go to a masquerade. On Saturday, in true WIS style, we wrote a story about a cheerful Captain and two young women, who find a secret waterfall, and in the process rebuild earthquake ravaged Haiti.  The power of these young girls' imaginations was astounding. Their intellects are big, their imaginations are bigger, and their hearts contain immense courage to stand up and bare their souls, to their parents, to me, and most importantly, to each other. I am in awe.

The next Short Story module holds its own appeal. It takes place on Fridays at 5:15, and is "About a boy". Actually, it's about three. Stay tuned for the next inkreadable installment.

No comments:

Post a Comment